Butcher Demon Chapter 334

size :  

                                                                                             

G'zOpen

Butcher Demon Chapter 334  Rotting Bard


prev   TOC   next






The man raised his hat and greeted, "Well, well, thank you."



... With a creepy smile, the man's face revealed itself to be that of a zombie.



Well, a zombie indeed. His face looked all muddy, eyes sunken, and one eyeball was hanging by the optic nerve. The torn cheek exposed protruding teeth, and, interestingly, they were all sharp. Mushrooms were popping out of his shoulders, and you could see his ribs through the torn-up clothes. Even though he was a zombie, he looked like one that's been decaying for a while, almost ready to go back to the earth.



"Is this... candy, perhaps?"



The zombie picked up a butterscotch candy with curiosity.



"No, money. price, wrong?"



"Kukuh. Your sentiment is more than enough."



"That, song, what?"



"It's the Ogamushunaku poem. One of the ancient legends passed down in Hyperborea... My apologies. I overheard you and the beautiful lady over there discussing about Primordials, and I couldn't help but sing."



"Showbiz, good."



"Kukuh. I appreciate it."



With that, I tossed another butterscotch candy as a tip. The zombie smiled... laughed and started playing a different tune.



Studying his style closely, I finally understood.



By hitting his dangling eyeball against his ribs, he produced a clinking sound like a xylophone. He used his ribs as a xylophone.



But that's not all. The strings were made by his own twisted intestines, and the bow was the same.



In other words, he was hitting his own ribs with his eyeball while simultaneously tugging his intestines to play. His performance was extremely high level, both technically and physically. In addition, there seemed to be bells hidden in his hat, every time he shook his head, they jingled, and when I looked closer, the box at his feet opened and closed, creating a rhythmic beat.




——Amazing!




No doubt about it, this guy is something else! The best street artist I've ever seen!



I found myself applauding without realizing it. Clap, clap, clap. On my shoulder, Yakumo also clapped.



"Oh, forgive me for my late introduction. I am Negroni, A humble bard who travels the world, learning and spreading folklore from every corner of the world. I look forward to your continued patronage."



The zombie bard, who introduced himself as Negroni, tipped his ten-gallon hat elegantly. Quite an elegant gesture for a zombie.




"And this is Campari."




Tapping lightly, he introduced the box at his feet. The box opened and closed its lid with a clatter, bouncing up and down to introduce itself.




I've seen this strange movement just recently.




"Mimic."



"Yes. But rest assured, it's harmless. I've been with Campari for a long time, and it has never attacked anyone."




Having just dealt with a very foul-mouthed mimic, I remained slightly wary. Well, no one else seemed bothered, and Campari looked weak.




"I, Gevaudan."




"Gevaudan. I've been traveling for a long time, but I never thought I'd have a peaceful conversation with an Aeon Preta. I feel like I've encountered a rare fortune today. Perhaps it was led by the spirit of the horn that boy blew. Thanks to the grace of Aides."




Negroni pointed at Yakumo's horn and bowed his head.



"Adventurer?"



"Incorrect. I can't say it out loud, but if I daresay, maybe I'm just a wanderer?"



"Zombie"



"Kukuk. As you can see, I'm a part of the Nocturnes."



Negroni laughed with a grin. His personality is good, but his face is devastatingly horror. I feel a sense of comradery.



"Interesting."



"Likewise――――Gevaudan."




As I turned around, Negroni called out to me.




"I don't think this encounter is a mere coincidence. I sense a sign. Our paths will surely be intertwined, and I will sing you a lullaby. As my time is long."




――What does that even mean...?



When I tilted my head, Negroni merrily raised his hat and gave me a smile with his rotten mouth.



"Kukuk. My premonitions always remain true――until then..."




"Miss Faye."



I heard Susu's voice. When I turned around, I saw him talking to Faye with an apologetic look on his face.



"I'm sorry. I was planning to stick with you all until you got into town,  but I received a summons. I'm sorry, but I need to go into town first."



"Of course. Thank you very much for taking care of us so far."



When Faye bowed slightly, Susu put his hand on her shoulder.



"When I'm done with my business, I'll definitely come back to check on you. Until then, Gevaudan, and everyone else, please excuse me."



Leaving those words behind, Susu and his attendant hurriedly descended the road leading to Meteor Lake.



It had been quite some time since our arrival. This is my fifth cup of coffee.




Near the entrance, Tiriel and Kyo were still struggling. I was curious, so I decided to ask about the situation.




"――Ah, Gevaudan! Seriously... this is too much. It's irritating."



Tiriel saw me and dropped her shoulders in frustration.



From beyond her, a hysterical hoarse voice could be heard.



"Keeeeeeee! There's no way subhumans can enter the Demon King's sovereign domain! ...And what kind of monster is that!?"




When I stood on my tiptoes and peered in, an old woman with wide eyes pointed at me.



She was a short old woman with white hair. She was using a cane, but she seemed so energetic that it didn't seem necessary.




"That old lady, apparently her name is Skemes. She's really stubborn. She insists that subhumans can't enter the town and is trying to drive away Faye and the others!"



Tiriel put her hands on her hips and puffed out her cheeks.



Right now, it seems like Kyo is the only one trying to negotiate, but the situation doesn't look good.



"We've been paying insurance premiums every year, haven't we? We just want you to lend us some vacant land until we find our destination! We'll take care of the rest!"



"No, no, no! The welfare system is for humans who are members of the Adventurer's Insurance Association and their families! It does not apply to subhumans who are not adventurers! ――Especially that butcher over there!"




Skemes came right up to me and jabbed at my apron with the cane she was holding.



"There's no reason to let a filthy brute like a butcher into the city!"



Pretty spot on. Hello, filthy brute here.



"Keeeeeeeeee! Go somewhere else in the forest and live as you like, like an orc!"



"Aaaah! I explained it to you earlier! Orc village has just been destroyed...because of reasons! Right now, the entire Hyperborea is in a dangerous state, so that's impossible!"



"You and that elf over there is fine! But subhumans and butchers are no good!"



I see. This is a problem.



If such a system really exists, there's nothing we can do. We either have to get the city's bigwigs to grant us an exception, or find a loophole in the system and exploit it. Either way, we can't get in without their permission.



I pulled the two of them away from Skemes for a moment to hold a strategy meeting.



Since the two of them seem to be able to enter the city, why don't you go in first and negotiate with the bigwigs? That's the gist of the talk.




"My position is weak, so I don't think I can handle such negotiations..."




Kyo is a no-go. She seems to be a newbie. What about Tiriel?




"Well... I'm not an adventurer either... If Ferris and the others were here, the talk would have been faster..."




It seems I was mistaken, but actually, among the four girls, Tiriel has the lowest family status. In other words, she's in a general admission quota. The recommendation slots for high-class ladies are reserved for Ferris, Lydia, and Arshella. Especially Ferris, who could even get a fast pass lane if she mentioned her family name.



"Ferris's family is called <Korikyu>, and for generations, they have been entrusted with the protection of the safe sea area and its port that connects the Demon King's castle, which is on the <Megalanica continent>, and the <Crescent Grand Continent>. That's how much the Demon King trusts them. Well, in terms of family wealth, Arshella's family is much stronger, though."



"Tiriel, elf. great, no?"



"My family is just an ordinary family in a town called Murano in the <Crystal Desert>. Sure, If I were Murano royalty, I might not be inferior to them..."



Tiriel sighed with a hint of self-mockery and averted her gaze.



"Why, together, school?"




"I was just selected because I happened to be born with a valuable elite skill. I don't even like fighting. I didn't want to go to a Spartan combat training school on the front lines...But my brother pushed me and... Haa~~..."



She put her hand on her forehead and sighed deeply. The hardships of a commoner who had mixed in with the elites were evident.



Faye also joined in the strategy meeting.



Eventually, as the sun set and the sky began to turn red...



"Skemes-san."



"What, you're still here?"



When Kyo called out to her, Skemes turned around with a look of annoyance.



"No matter how many times you come, not allowed is not allowed. If you have a complaint..."



"Not that. Please let me and Tiriel in for now."



"If that's the case, I don't mind..." 



"Also, this Gevaudan too."




"I told you, no Butcher!"




"No, I won't back down on this one."




"....Huh?"




"Because, Gevaudan is my pet."



"...Pet?"



Skemes looked up in astonishment.



At the end of her gaze――a collar and leash hung from my neck. It was a modified version of Kyo's whip.



"I've made a butcher my pet. Entry cannot be denied to a Tamer's companions, regardless of their race."




Kyo's comment about having Butcher as a pet caused an uproar.



"A butcher, as a pet...? No, That's...That's impossible..."



"Look, Gevaudan. Greet."



"Woof."


"Hand."


I put my hand on Kyo's hand.


"Sit."



I sat cross-legged.



"Lie d... See? do you understand now?"




――Tsk.



Kyo, you chickened out. She avoided the final one.



Despite my sloppy dog act, the fort was in an uproar.



"But...That Butcher just..."


"Pet."


"But it's impossible for a human to..."



"He's really a pet.."



"Woof woof."



After a beat, Skemes buckles.



"――...Wh, what!?"



"So it's okay, right?"



"Ah, ah, unbelievable..."



Leaving the old woman who had lost her words with her mouth wide open as if her jaw was about to fall off, Kyo communicated the situation to a man who seemed to be a gatekeeper watching our exchange from the side.



"Well, if that's the case..."



The gatekeeper gave us permission, albeit bewildered.



"Alright!"



Kyo and Tiriel high-fived.




 And so, the two of them and I, their pet, were granted permission to enter Meteor Lake.





prev   TOC   next





If you like the translation, please consider sending me some ko-if.

I truly appreciate any support you can give.

   

What do you think?

Please refrain from posting/asking for spoilers, thanks!

1 Comments

Previous Post Next Post